Thursday, January 13, 2011

Atomic Aquatics First Dive Computer

Atomic has recently introduced its first dive computer to the market, The Atomic Aquatics Cobalt .
First Ill list a few of the features:
Full Color display ooooh nice, lithium ion battery which is rechargeable via ac cord or usb, HP quick disconnect, 3D digital compass, air/nitrox up to 99% O2 , and can be preprogrammed with up to three different gases.
Now when I first heard Atomic was bringing to the market their very own dive computer I was a little ...well lets say I thought it would be a joke. First off many of these companies developing dive computers have been at it for a number of years and still crappy ones with complicated menus show up year after year. The first pictures released with its color screen looked so different than what we are used to seeing I for one thought it was going to be a flop but nonetheless would help them get into the computer market. The chance of the newcomer competing with some of the most advanced dive computers to date seemed far fetched. Atomic came out swinging, to my surprise the Atomic stacks up to any computer available on the market. I have not yet had the opportunity to dive this computer but just playing with it on land gave me enough to say this is one of the easiest/coolest dive computers available. I would bet anyone out there could go through all the menus, setting everything from time to O2 without picking up the manual. The menus explain themself's and the button configuration/ layout is easy to use and understand. I put it in a class with the Uwatec Galileo ( your choice, hoseless or not)

6 comments:

  1. Can not wait to check one out, color screen looks cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. very cool simple set up great to dive
    gb

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree gb, how long have you been diving the cobalt?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a few dives on the Cobalt and it is pretty sweet. very vague, unsubstantiated rumors of a wrist-mounted, wireless air-integrated model coming at some point in the next year or two. If you like - or don't mind - diving a console, then this is definitely worth owning. My fiance, an open water student, figured it out completely in seconds. If you can use a smart phone, the Cobalt is cake. No computer software for it yet, so no way to get the log data downloaded from it, but Atomic says Windows software is coming "soon" and I have heard that they are working with MacDive to add Cobalt functionality for those of us on Mac. The comment I get each time I dive it is "Wow, that screen is so bright I could read it from 20 feet away (in somewhat murky lake water). Often, in limited visibility, the screen is the fist part of my gear someone can see. I have handed it over to my fiance so I can rest easy that she has a computer she can use easily and that will not task load her. It also allows me to glance over and easily double check her air pressure without appearing as though I am babysitting her (and to make sure she has given me the correct hand signals last time I asked her).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Im glad you are enjoying it, I was very impressed with this computer as well. I know that a wrist unit will be next but have not been given a firm idea as to when. Last I heard was that it was in the beginning design stages so I would assume we are still a ways away from seeing a wrist unit. I will be sure to post information as soon as I hear anything. I may make some phone calls today. In the mean time keep us up to date, its nice hearing from people actually using the gear.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband and I got each other a Cobalt for our anniversary. Just returned from Bonaire and logged 25 dives on each. LOVE this computer! So easy to read and adjust settings. The dive profile is cool too. Lots of info that can be downloaded to your PC. Highly recommend!

    ReplyDelete